Wednesday, August 12, 2009

World Traveler


I have visited many countries: Brazil, Italy, Czech Republic, Croatia, Hungary, the Philippines. And I've seen most of the US when I was traveling a lot as a comedian. I truly enjoy traveling. A lot of people, when they travel, see the sights and do all of the touristy things. And although, I do force myself to do those things, I spend most of the time just hanging out. I go to a nightclub to listen to the local musicians.

But, I really enjoy the chaos of traveling. See, as humans, we settle into a routine very quickly. We crave stability, almost need stability, even when we have a self-destructive routine. When you travel, you get thrown off that routine. Again, I really enjoy that. I enjoy having no clue where anything is. I enjoy trying to communicate with people knowing nothing more than what I learned from 3 hours of reading a phrase book. I like having to eat foods that I don't normally eat. People look at me, knowing that I'm obviously not from around there. Street merchants call on me, excited to see a new person who they haven't relentlessly annoyed to buy their junk.

Life communicates to you through this chaos. Whenever I become aware of the chaos, I take a moment to feel the wonder of life. As human beings, we have the power to build big buildings, paint great art, play beautiful music. Many opportunities get thrown our direction, yet we refuse to take those opportunities because it would break up our routine. The chaos tries to tell you to seize control of your life and control of your thoughts. You can feel happier. It tells you to find a job that you really feel passion for, break up from a relationship that you don't really wanna be in, eliminate any activities that you feel ashamed of. I like traveling because it helps me to become aware of these possibilities. So, I'm a big advocate of traveling. Of course, you could do the same thing by reading this blog. But, yeah, traveling's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment