Thursday, August 6, 2009

Gout, but not out

I made my decision to revert back to a vegetarian lifestyle partially because I suffered from gout attacks in my past. For those of you who don't know who don't know what gout is, it's basically a very painful arthritic condition. I'm talking real pain. Imagine taking a handful of needles and jamming them into the joints of your feet, ankles, knees, or toes. Every year from about 2002 to about 2008, I would go through at least one 2 to 3 month period where I basically was confined to my bed or the couch. And I would lay there in pain. There were times when I felt pain just from the weight of a blanket. After going through this several times, I can truly say that I do not wish this condition on my worst enemy, not that the Braz has any enemies. Well, you got the point.

What makes this condition hard to cope with at times is the fact that there is no cure. There isn't even really a treatment. See, gout's caused by a high levels of uric acid in the body. And the way to get rid of uric acid is to pee it out. And while you're peeing it out, you have to eliminate foods and drinks that contain uric acid in them, things like alcohol, soft drinks, beans, asparagus, cauliflower, mushrooms, spinach, seafood, and yes -----> meat.

Now, I haven't suffered from a major attack since early 2008 (knock on wood). But, at this moment, I am experiencing a very mild attack in my right foot. I'm still able to walk around and do what I need to do, but with a limp and a slight pain, more like a slight irritation. Like, you will not see me do any kind of dancing or running around the neighborhood naked. But, if I had to do those things, I could but with a very disgusted look on my face. I'm drinking lots of water and have gone to the bathroom about 50 times today. At that rate, I usually only wash my hands every 8th time I use the bathroom.

Although this condition can be very painful, I do enjoy a few aspects of it. Whenever I go through an attack, I get to do a lot of thinking and resting without anyone bothering me to do some stupid errands or favors. This downtime allows me to really relax and focus in on the important things in life - love, family, friends, community. Of course, I initially spend a certain amount of time feeling sorry for myself, but then I realize that, there's a world out there where millions of people suffer everyday, throughout their lives, from physical, mental, and psychological ailments. My suffering lasts no more than a couple of months. But, because I do suffer, I feel one with them. And, I want to ease their suffering. And if you're one of those who's suffering, I want to ease your suffering. How? By being the lovable, huggable, and truly wonderful Joe Braza. That's right!


No comments:

Post a Comment