Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Back to Basics

Last Thursday, July 30th, I went back to being a vegetarian. I had stopped being a vegetarian when I visited Eastern Europe, specifically Prague, Czech Republic, back in Fall 2006. For those of you who don't know, Czechs aren't very well known for their culinary excellence. And, pretty much, all of their dishes contain some kind of meat. The only thing that I could eat was this dish called - Smažený sýr. It's basically a cheese dish that I got tired of after a couple of days. So, when I finally got back to Italy, I went buckwild and ate a pepperoni pizza. Not, one of my proudest moments, but I just wanted to eat something edible.

When I got back to the States, I had fully intended to revert back to my vegetarian lifestyle, but I didn't. I enjoyed the convenience of eating anything. Restaurants and my family don't really cater to vegetarians. They try, but you look at any menu and on the average, vegetarians have about 10-15% of the menu to available to them. So, I just suspended my vegetarian lifestyle indefinitely.

Fast forward to last week. I decided to go back to being a vegetarian after eating some tacos from Del Taco. I literally wanted to shoot a hole in my stomach to relieve my digestive system from processing that meal. I mean, yeah, cheap meal and all, but it lacked fulfillment. I hated myself for eating Del Taco, but I knew there was more to it.

I became a vegetarian in the first place for better health and because I cared for our environment. In case you're unaware, it takes 16 times more resources to produce a pound of meat than it takes to produce a pound of grain. These resources include water, gasoline, feed, etc. I believe that if only 10% of the US population converted into a vegetarian diet, we could severely reduce our dependence on foreign oil. And, if you look at gas prices these days, you would know that, that wouldn't suck.

So, I'm back guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment